Sunday, July 8, 2007

Brooklyn Museum

You learn all types of interesting things when your looking at historical artwork.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In some African traditions, the depiction of a woman holding her breasts (see above) says that the woman is a good mother and is nurturing of her child. So, in the case of Britney Spears August 2006 cover shoot for Harper's Bazaar magazine...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


No, wait, it still says "crazed slut."

Overall, the Brooklyn Museum struck me as being the poor man's Met. On the plus side it's not as pretentious as the Met and not nearly as crowded. The collections aren't as extensive as the Met's but they are much larger than one would think. It's located next to Prospect Park and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens so the area is definitely worth the trip.

Getting off the subway we were couldn't help but notice three people in crazy outfits playing traditional Russian music while marching across the courtyard in front of the museum. If that wasn't enough, the drummer was one stilts. Creepy. Even creepier was that as the marched every single person with a baby carraige slowley was drawn to them and followed behind like they had been brainwashed. It was a little bit scary. OK, it was very scary. I almost peed my pants.

I've come to a realization. I really need a digital camera. Not a lot of work that I liked in the museum is online. The only one that I found was this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When you walk up to the picture, all of the eggs seem flawless. But once you look closely, you notice all off their cracks and imperfections become evident. Once you notice them, you can see them from a distance. The picture no longer is perfect. It struck me as being a lot like people that you get to know (sorry about the douchey metaphor).


I'm taking a break from museums today, hopefully I'll make it to one on Monday.

No comments: